>

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

ALCOHOL INK STAMPING

Today I had an idea spurred by a post on Pinterest about making your own ink pad using reinkers on baby wipes.  So wondered if that would work with alcohol inks.  Didn't actually make an ink pad - just put alcohol inks on my blending tool with a little blending solution.  Here's the result...



I used Altenew's Beautiful Day stamp set - inked just the second layer of the stamp with a mixture of shell pink, salmon, watermelon and mountain rose.  On the leaves are citrus, lettuce and meadow.  All were stamped on yupo paper.  I used my MISTI so I could get a better variation in the colors.  This worked really well for the leaves and was able to stamp multiple times without reinking the felt or adding more blending solution.


Now I'm wondering what effect the alcohol ink has on the clear stamps???  I cleaned them off really well and they're stained, but no more so than with ink.  Did a Goggle search but didn't find a definitive answer.  

No matter what, I had fun experimenting.  Thanks for stopping by today - and if anyone knows whether I've ruined my clear stamps, let me know!!!

EDIT:  have been told that stamping first in Versamark will protect the stamp and the stamping with the alcohol ink will be fine - sounds like a good idea to me.


9 comments:

  1. Well, looks like your blending tool "ink pad" worked great, Betty! Beautiful card--hope the stamps are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The alcohol ink stamping created a really artsy look, Betty! Looks like loose watercoloring!!!
    Hope your stamps are fine! (I think it will be okay :)! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun experiment with alcohol ink stamping, Betty! I know what you mean about stained clear stamps; some inks touch the stamp and they stain! Beautiful flowers & leaves with the wonky stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Betty. I am not sure about the how and type of damage AI inks and solvent cleaners may have, but I would think its more about repeated use and not cleaning the solvents off with soap and water. They might create tiny holes in the stamp face eroding the polymer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card...love your water color stamping

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever you are, Betty! I love the results of your technique...so artistic and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to use your alcohol inks Betty. The flowers and leaves are so pretty. Thanks for the tip about Versamark on the clear stamps first. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave comments - they make my day!