>

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

SPARKLE AND SHINE

This month our challenge at A Blog Named Hero is "sparkle and shine" - so I made two very sparkly, shiny cards for you today.  But first must tell you a little story about them.

I have two teenage granddaughters who live in England. Since it's easier for me (and I'm sure they like it better), I send my son some money and he buys them gift certificates.  So last Christmas I made two really cute slider cards with room for a gift card to be inserted.  Mailed them on 1 December and between the U.S. mail and the Royal Mail, they never ever arrived!!!  So this year I am trying again - only this time I made them in the beginning of July and gave them to my son while the family was visiting these past few weeks.  Now my only worry is that he'll forget where he put them and can't find them at Christmas!!



This isn't an original idea for making a slider card - you can find out how to make it by viewing this video.  I started by die cutting two ornaments - one from gold glitter paper and the other in silver (saving all the little bits).  (BTW, Hero Arts has a new ornament that would work just as well.) Then cut out a circle and attached on the back of the ornament with lots of tape and fit all the silver bits into the gold ornament and gold into the silver one.  Then I followed Dawn's instructions for making the card slider part.  Die cut a red "K" (for Katie) and an "A" (for Anna) and glued to the center of the ornament.  Added some gold twine to the ornaments and attached to the front of the card per instructions in the video - only attached at the bottom part of folded center part of the slider. You can see what I mean by looking at the photo on the right. Stamped the little sentiment on the inside and also added a little strip of double sided tape above the sentiment so Mike could add the gift card inside.  I put two layers of foam tape on the sides and bottom between the base and slider piece so there'd be room for the g.c.  My explanation is probably clear as mud, but hopefully if you are interested in trying this, the video will help a lot.

I had lot of fun making these sliders for my girls - I tried to figure out a way to detach the ornament so it could be hung on the tree, but nothing seemed to work.  Maybe someone out there has a good idea!

Hope you can create a sparkle and shine card for this month's challenge and enter it here.  There are two gift cards to be won from Hero Arts, so be sure to have a go.

Thanks for visiting today and love to read your kind comments.


3 comments:

  1. Wow--these are so gorgeous & festive, Betty! I need to start now to make one so I can actually use it for the gc I give at Christmas! Never got around to trying last year--outside my comfort zone, but I know it'd be good for me to give it a go! How sad the ones from last year never got to the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this unique design for a gift card and I think all the shine and sparkle will make them perfect for your granddaughters! I'm sure your son will put them in a safe place, especially after what happened last year :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave comments - they make my day!